Monday, December 18, 2006

Before leaving for vacation

I am off tomorrow for vacation in Australia. There will be no blogging for three weeks or so because I will be too busy swimming at the beach, practicing my golf and reading trashy historical romance novels. I will not be updating the 'currently reading' blurb during the vacation. I have finished "Cloud Atlas" and since finished "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coehlo. I will be reading "Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Marakumi(spelling?) on the plane.

Migrant Workers' Rights in South Korea

December 18 is International Migrants Day. For this event, I (and other people from my work) have been very busy preparing this little piece about migrant workers in Korea. I have not been long in the job so it was quite time-consuming to work through all the new bureaucracy to have this ready in time. On that site (not that page) you can also find the new primer on migrant workers as well as Amnesty's report on migrant workers' rights in South Korea, published in August 2006.

The Diet

It is still early days but there is no weight gain as yet. I found £5 on the pavement this morning so I splurged at lunch and bought the large portion instead of my regular small portion of rice and black bean casserole (Ghananian style - yum!). I couldn't finish it but I believe I gave it a good try. I bought Doritos last weekend to increase snacking and this has been mildly successful. Breakfast was a few pieces of pineapple but mostly because there was no milk for cereal.

There is, of course, no need for concern. I know that there is alot of great tasting food out there and I like to think I can cook a nice meal (and great muffins). The tastebuds are willing but the stomach is overruling all food decisions at present. Maybe my stomach is allergic to food.

Currently reading:

"Hell" by Yasutaka Tsutsui