Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Pondering

I think that is about the longest I've gone without blogging for no good reason since I started this operation. Kudos to the eight of you who continue to visit out of devotion or boredom and for remaining faithful despite an 18 month slow but consistent decline in quantity and quality of blogs here at kathreb. I'm guessing its boredom but I appreciate your visits no less for that.

A big part of the problem is having nothing to write about. This blog was started for the purpose of tracking and recording my readings and thoughts on issues related to Korea. Other topics that caught my interest also made it onto the blog but the central focus was always Korea. But keeping up with Korea while in America to the detail that I used to in Korea is difficult and grossly unnecessary.

So the question is: do I keep the blog, or let it go? Clearly, if I keep the blog, I need to change the "mission statement" and find a new motivation for writing beyond Korean issues. Losing my audience seems like a superfluous concern.

The answer, such as it is: I'm putting the blog on trial during which time I'll test a few ideas. I'm going to Laos for work in a couple of weeks (I will be spending my miserable birthday on a plane attempting to drink it dry). Before embarking I'm going to buy a digital camera to take wonderful heartfelt pictures of places my work takes me. This may not work as my work is taking me to the inside of a conference room for the most part. I will put them on my blog. Okay, that's ONE idea...maybe I'll think of something wonderful and exciting that everyone will be interested in reading later.

Trial Period: Two months - May 12-July 12.

Currently reading:

"Hell" by Yasutaka Tsutsui