Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Banned Bloggers

Seems like the ban on blog sites is continuing in Korea and it is all anyone from the so-called IKK is talking about. I wrote to a former colleague from the Korean Government to see what they might say about it and he had no idea what I was talking about. This led me to think that this issue may be well-known among us bloggers but is not being made widely known to the broader public. Further to that, I'm not sure many Koreans will be overly sympathetic to the plight of a handful of foreigners who blog from Korea. I did find some articles in Korean about it but it hardly seems to be getting much publicity/empathy. I also suspect that some less avid netizens will side with the MIC in their argument of protecting the people. I recall the US government asking (not demanding) media to stop playing the 9/11 video for similar reasons of 'causing distress'. Although, of course, it was still available on the internet as were other pictures of the tragedy.

About Joel and Big Ho and others are calling for petitions and other lobbying efforts but I think it might be prudent to remember that as foreigners any petitions by us are of little worth. Citizens have the right to petition, not aliens. (at least as far as I'm aware). Therefore the government wouldn't even be obligated to so much as look at any petition collected.

So what to do, what to do...?? Perhaps a candlelight vigil might be in order.

Currently reading:

"Hell" by Yasutaka Tsutsui