Friday, August 08, 2003

The week prior to my holidays last week I attended and worked at a conference being jointly held by the World Bank and Korea Development Institute. I found that the good people at KDI have put up some of papers presented during the conference entitled Developing and Strengthening the System of Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations and Fiscal Decentralisation. For anyone with an interest in Korea's fiscal decentralisation and local government formation this would be a good source. In the lead up to the conference I conducted some research into Korea's local government history and found the development of local goverment to be extremely inchoate but also very interesting and hopefully this kind of event can lead to further study and research in this field. I also found that there is limited English sourced information which makes these papers particularly relevant as it shows a broadening interest in this field among countries outside of Korea.

Also, The Seoul Metropolitan Government has announced its Seventh Annual Essay Contest. As a previous entrant of this competition I would like to advocate it for two reasons. Firstly, I have found that its a great chance to sit down and think about what it is you like about Korea and to take you mind off the negatives. I have found it a good opportunity to remember why I came to Korea and why I'm still here. I think its important to think about the positives and write them down. Secondly, they have lots of winnrs which makes it easy to win some money. I think the second advantage is self explanatory.

Currently reading:

"Hell" by Yasutaka Tsutsui